About Us
 
 
 
HISTORY OF GREATER BARBOURS CHAPEL BAPTIST CHURCH

In the early portion of the 20th century, in the tiny community of Texas City, the Reverend R.C. Barbour migrated from Macedonia Baptist Church in Galveston, Texas with the vision of providing spiritual leadership to African American citizens. In 1913, Reverend Barbour purchased a parcel of land in the city's second division, which was located on the corner of Eighth Street South and First Avenue South. With a congregation of approximately 40 members, a small wooden one-story building was erected. The wharf, on Bay Street served as the baptismal pool for new converts. The first deacons were John Bill, Wade Allen and Will Gilbert. Reverend Barbour served as pastor for seven years, leaving in 1920 to return to Galveston and then moving to establish a church in Tennessee. The church then became the property of the Old Landmark Association. Over the next few decades, the face of the diocese, as well as the church's infrastructure changed and the congregation continued to grow.

 

At The Helm Of Leadership Were
Reverends A.G. Austin
1920-1924
 
R.B. Evans
1924-1927
 
W.L. Taylor
1927-1930

Organized the first choir with Swanee Simpson serving as musician and the first missionary society with Della Perkins serving as president. Reverend Taylor died in 1930.

Reverend Harris
1930 Interim Pastor
 
J.M. Lemmon
1930-1932
 
General Lee George
1932-1933
Organized the first Usher Board and Foreign Mission Board. Sister Terether Bates served as president.
E.H. Norton
1933-1937
 
S.A. Adams
1937-1943
Erected a baptismal pool within the sanctuary and reorganized the Music department.
J.H. Scott
1943-1959
Served as the first full-time pastor. Secured property from the Old Landmark Association, renovated church structure elevating the sanctuary, adding a balcony and providing space for a fellowship hall on the first story. Reverend Scott reorganized the second Sunday as youth day, added usher board #2, organized a junior usher board, expanded the Mission to include several circles, reorganized the Baptist Training Union, established the Deaconess and Trustee boards and organized the Educational Fund department, renamed church Greater Barbours Chapel Missionary Baptist Church.
B.M. Reynolds
1959-1960
Reorganized the Ushers and Nurses Aides to serve as on department.
L.B Brown
1960-1965
 
H.A Ratcliff, Jr.
1965-2000
Reorganized building fund, renovated the church and fixtures, increased the transportation department to include church vans and a church bus, purchased adjacent property for parking, reorganized the music department to form a mass choir, established a food and clothing bank, reorganized the Sunday School to expand leadership class. In 1991, the church purchased land on Emmett F. Lowry Expressway to build a new church facility. Reverend Ratcliff died in September 2000.
James Edward Brown, Sr.
2001-2010

On September 9, 2001 Reverend Brown took the charge as the 14th pastor of Barbour's Chapel. The Sunday church school was reorganized into three divisions and a Deacon Family Ministry was established to teach and spiritually touch each member. A new member's orientation class was organized to prepare new members to transition into their new church family. The music department was reorganized to include a sanctuary choir, men's chorus, the M.O.B. [i.e., Men Of Barbour's] and a traveling choir for church fellowship. A Trustee ministry was re-established to handle the temporal interest of the church. With a dire need for space, a project management team was assembled to focus on the church building plan. In August 2002, the church voted to sell the land on FM 1764 and acquire new land on FM 1765 to build a new church campus. In July 2003, the project management team recommended DaySpring Resources as the builder for the new facility while the team secured financing from Texas First Bank. On April 8, 2005 the leadership held a 24-hour prayer vigil in preparation of the first worship service, April 10, 2005, at the new church facility. After a final service at the 801 Martin Luther King Boulevard building, the membership engaged in a celebratory processional from Barbour's Chapel to Greater Barbour's Chapel Baptist Church now located at 7420 FM 1765. The official church dedication and ribbon cutting ceremony was held April 24, 2005.

Walter Pinkney, Sr.
2010
Interim Pastor

 

Greater Barbours Chapel Baptist Church © 2011
Designed By: Phillip Gray, Jr